Wednesday

negotiations with LPP controllers. only blonde can do it.

from very first days in Ljubljana i noticed a weird system of the public transportation. and for some time already was thinking to add something about LPP (public transport company in Ljubljana) and my experiences. after what happened this morning, i could not resist on sharing with everyone. i`ve been caught by controllers & still have no idea what are the fines for not having a bus ticket.

So here it goes...
till now i have met the controllers quite many times, all out of two times while meeting them I always had a ticket.what happen in those two times?

the first meeting happen less than a month ago. i was coming back from work. and when getting in bus it turn out my URBANA (the same of the ticket) had no money on it, so i was not able to by any ticket. and neither the bus driver sell any. me walking home? no way, moreover, i don`t see it my fault to not have a ticket, as simple there were no place to get it. yes. on the almost one of the last stops for me to get out, the "nice" man appeared. so i show them my URBANA, they beep it and says first something in slovene, then realize i don`t understand them, and luckily switch to english. however the only two sentences they know - girl you have no ticket. get out of the bus. wow. I try to say them that i had no place to buy it, however they don`t listen and i have no other choice than get out of bus. and that was it. I stayed alone in the bus stop, with no more URBANA, as the guy kept it, with no other explanations. so 2 euros to get a new URBANA was my "fine"

the next or day after next, when going to work in the morning, i was so lucky to meet the same guy that throw me out of the bus...luckily this time everything was fine with the ticket, and he could do nothing than just smile.

the second "free ride" happen today. last weeks i always been late for work, so in morning im in such a hurry that seeing my bus leaving while im across the street its terrible. however as i had to recharge URBANA, a bus left without me. I went towards the ticket machine, put the money in the machine, tried to register my card to get the money...and what happen..stupid machine gets stuck. I miss the bus, i am not able to get neither money back neither charge my card...what a nice morning. So i get in the next bus, with no ticket. couple of stops before my work, the "nice controllers" are there. well, can I be more lucky this morning? turn out yes.
they come to me, almost directly and asks for my ticket. first in slovene, then realize that i don`t understand them :) (I still think that bus drivers have to do something about this. they do have some information system or something. really.) I have no ticket, i answer. And this time I don`t even consider showing my URBANA. the next sentence from controllers was again - please,get out of bus.
after having so much trougle in the morning. Do i get out? NO. As i was under adrenaline that this situation raise, im not sure if i can recall it word by word, but I got into negotiation or argument with two controllers. it went something like this:
      S: No, I am not getting out of the bus.
      C: But you have no ticket, you have no other choice, just get out please.
      S: No, I am not getting out of the bus.
      C: -silence for short time- seems surprised of my eagerness to stay.
 S: I am sorry, but is not my fault of not having ticket...(explaining the                                                                  morning situation)
      C: Then you had to call the number and tell the machine got stuck. (gives me the number)
     S: (Pretending a bit blonde.) But where could i see the number? It did not appear anywhere and I already missed the other bus, you know i was already wasting my time. And i really need to go to work.
    
Unfortunately i don`t remember what they said before they left, but the outcome was that I went to work, till the stop i needed and later calling the phone they gave me, i got back also the money from the machine.

day started not so good, but turn out to be ok. the only question still remains. what are the fines when going with LPP with no ticket? Really?

2 comments:

erasmus said...

Hi, the fine is 40€ if you do not pay when you enter the bus.
I don't know how it is for turists though.. maybe you can negotiate a bit like you did :)
anyway, check here for some information in Ljubljana:
Erasmus in Ljubljana.
Or you can check here if you need Ljubljana bus map: Ljubljana bus map

have fun in Ljubljana and go out and see the lights in the Preseren Square ;)

S. said...

Hey erasmus.

Lovely thanks. and well, none of the times they asked me to pay any fine. :) however now knowing the price, i don`t really want them to tell me to pay :D