Thursday

Portuguese understanding of Latvia&Latvian

i very much enjoy being form the small and beautiful country Latvia. If you are now wondering where it is, then have a look here. And being from small nation many times is advantage, however there comes times of disadvantages, as well you get yourself into fun situations way more often due to explaining of your nationality and country.
while living in Spain and trying to use the english name "Latvia" it was clear that nobody really knows, as for them Latvia is Letonia and latvian is Letona. And fun, but in Barcelona they produce milk with exact the same name Letona.
When arriving here, i already knew that i should skip the english version and should better adapt the spanish name. However here it comes with different accent so it also sounds a bit differently. nevertheless as I learned during my portuguese classes, then our nationality is called Leta or Letao. So yeah, you get quite lost with all of this.

When just arrived, we went to city parish to register ourselves as living here. I gave my passport, i had a look on the printed paper afterwards...but the paper given was all in portuguese and at that time i did not speak any portuguese nor really knew how it should to be my nationality written, then as it turned out today a fun and stupid mistake have happened. So I am actually Sandra from Latvia, but Lithuanian is my nationality. Ruben Papian would probably question me, do I actually exist?
But well, by so far i have used this document in already couple of other spots and till today none of other Portuguese people reading my paper did tell me anything nor noticed any mistake there. I did not notice either, however have to admit, i have not read it since ever i got it. People working in public libraries should be double awarded as exactly today i was pointed out the silly mistake in the document by woman registering me within the library. After the mistake came out i still had to convince her that Latvia and Lithuania are actually two different countries, and yes, i am Latvian from Latvia and no Lithuania.
I wonder is there any other of the languages that likes to call Latvia in completely different name? So far I know Letonia, Lettland, Lati...do you have something even better?

Going to fight with mosquitoes,
Hasta la vista e atē lā.
S.

No comments: